The Youth & Community Programs Administrative Associate is the first point of contact for people interested in Lighthouse and the community it fosters. As such, it requires an outgoing, energetic, and warm personality, superior listening skills, and patience. The ideal candidate will have customer service experience and be passionate about literature and creative writing. This person will also be very organized, possess the ability to manage multiple projects with a high level of attention to detail, and be able to work well in a collaborative team atmosphere.
This position is full time, reports to the Director of Youth & Community Programs, but consults regularly with program coordinators and other staff, ensuring that Lighthouse successfully conducts its full range of dynamic programming in order to fulfill its mission.
Customer Service (40%)
- Welcome walk-in visitors to Lighthouse, give tours of the building, answer any questions about the organization and our offerings.
- Act as steward of the physical space, ensuring that community spaces are accessible, clean, welcoming, and ready for use.
- Handle phone queries on a host of topics from community members of diverse backgrounds.
- Assist customers in choosing programs, registering for offerings, and processing payments.
- Assist customers with tuition assistance, payment plans, credits, refunds, and other financial matters, tracking information through necessary bookkeeping platforms.
- Handle all youth and community programming-related email inquiries; routing them to the appropriate staff and faculty members as needed.
- Ensure workshops are running smoothly by updating the website with course and customer information as needed.
- Assist CE/Youth Programs staff with workshop and special events, including photocopying and printing materials, classroom set-up, name tags, food ordering and set-up, clean-up, and general needs of the students and instructors.
- Occasionally support Director-level staff with administrative tasks.
- Works with Young Writers Program and Community Engagement team, handling basic administrative tasks (processing registrations, instructor contracts, filing, scheduling, organizing, data entry, occasional errands, printing and copying materials).
- Take meeting minutes at weekly staff meetings and other meetings, as needed.
- Maintain inventory of general office supplies and oversee purchasing additional supplies for classes and events.
- Occasionally attend and support whole-organization events and gatherings in evenings or on weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Projects (20%)
- Conceptualize and lead a special project: faculty resource database curation and creation; onboarding faculty members; develop a special topic workshop curriculum or community partnership.
Technology/Digital Space (10%)
- Act as a steward of our digital space, helping community members new to digital classrooms navigate the associated technology.
- Provide basic technical assistance to our community, including faculty and students, troubleshooting issues that arise in this new digital space.
- Support Zoom programming scheduling for various programs and other staff.
- Build and maintain Zoom links and Wet Ink classrooms for digital programming and ensure that information is communicated to related parties.
Ideal candidate should possess two or more years of experience working in a customer service and/or administrative function. This person should also possess some experience with registration processing, customer service, and database information management, and the maturity, patience, and confidence to handle a wide variety of customer queries and concerns. Candidate must be an impeccable writer, a great listener, and a clear and friendly communicator. Finally, this person should also be adept at editing and proofreading written materials, processing financial transactions, and have some knowledge of basic website maintenance. They should also be a passionate reader and writer, as well as a tireless advocate for the importance of literature in our culture.
Technology experience preferred (but not required):
- Website maintenance (Drupal)
- Microsoft Office
- Google Suite
- Some graphic design software (particularly Canva, InDesign, Acrobat, and Photoshop)
The ideal candidate is a flexible, enthusiastic, goal-driven, and organized self-starter who enjoys creating positive and inspiring relationships with all members of the Lighthouse community. The ideal candidate also thrives under casual supervision, and will also be prepared to occasionally work weekends and nights..
Compensation and Benefits
Benefits include 22 days of paid time off (PTO) which can be used as sick, vacation, or personal time. This position also includes medical and dental insurance for the individual and dependents, a SEP-IRA retirement account matched by Lighthouse at 3% of salary, and a flexible medical spending account. Finally, it also includes one free eight-week workshop, and one free one-day workshop per season.
This position pays $19-21 per hour to start, commensurate with experience. This position is full time, 40 hours per week.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Lighthouse Writers Workshop is a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace, where all participants, employees, and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. We value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are heard. To that end, we uphold a commitment to a diverse community by nurturing an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming work environment.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and references online on our Youth & Community Programs Administrative Associate submission page by Aug 15 deadline, or until position is filled.
This is a hybrid position, being both remote and in-person, with 16 hours per week required in the office. Lighthouse has instituted a Covid-19 health and safety policy that adheres to City and County of Denver and state of Colorado guidance. That policy can be found here.