Summary of Position
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will be responsible for all elements of external messaging and material creation, which includes brochures, flyers, press releases and packets, social media messaging, and all other marketing-related correspondence. All materials must be written with the house voice, look, and feel, so candidate must be adept at adopting the language and tone of our literary center. They must also be an impeccable writer, with the skill to take material from concept to final draft with little direct supervision. This position will also be responsible for maintaining a database of press and community contacts, as well as internal mailing and email lists, and will be expected to work within various artistic and civic communities to spread the word about the organization and the work we’re doing. Most importantly, the ideal candidate is passionate about reading, writing, and literature, and feels comfortable managing freelancers and working closely with and productively with staff members.
- Create and implement yearly marketing plan for all programs.
- Develop and manage a shared calendar of marketing material development, including a series of scheduled steps toward production.
- Manage the creation, design, writing and distribution all print marketing materials, including brochures, flyers, website images, postcards and letters, often working with a freelance graphic designer and other staff members.
- Write and design (or manage) weekly e-newsletters. Maintain email lists.
- Maintain and promote Lighthouse blog and podcasts.
- Manage all social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) campaigns.
- Write and distribute press releases and messaging to community at large. Develop relationships with local media.
- Maintain and update website pages daily/weekly.
- Manage all media advertising and purchasing in line with budget. Manage relationship with printing vendor.
- Maintain LH style sheet, proofread written materials as needed.
- Serve as final arbiter (and proofreader) of all written materials, as needed.
- Work with Program Director, Program Coordinators, Youth Program Director, and Community Programs Coordinator on all program marketing and other related promotional materials.
- Represent organization within various communities, building a strong network of professional and personal connections.
- Attend and engage constituents at various public events.
Experience and Education
Candidates must possess exceptional writing ability, and must feel comfortable working with feedback from a team of professional writers. Must also be an experienced and knowledgeable proofreader. Should possess a bachelor’s degree, and at least five years’ experience with marketing, writing, and public relations—ideally in a nonprofit setting.
The ideal candidate will have experience marketing a wide variety of programs to people who are already engaged with the organization while reaching and cultivating new audiences.
Must be an outgoing and energetic champion of the Lighthouse mission, and be willing to network and develop relationships with civic and artistic institutions, as well as individuals and arts supporters. Must also have experience with effective social media strategies. Familiarity with website content editing is also integral, as is working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and social media technologies. Ideal candidate is an avid reader who enjoys keeping up-to-date on literary culture, both here in Denver and beyond.
The ideal candidate will also be a highly organized, flexible, easy-going, and goal-driven self-starter who enjoys creating positive and inspiring relationships with internal and external parties. Also enjoys working unsupervised for long periods of time, occasionally on weekends and at night. Attention to detail and professionalism are imperative.
After a 90-day probationary period, benefits include 15 days of paid time off (PTO) which can be used as sick, vacation, or personal time. Also includes four free eight-week workshops, and four free one-day workshops per year.
Other benefits: Medical insurance, SEP IRA, and Health Savings Account.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Lighthouse is an equal opportunity employer.